Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Is it February yet?

Whine of the day:

What really sucks at work lately is the fallout of recent layoffs. It was sad to see people go, but I could understand the reasoning behind it and at least most of them volunteered for it. What I don't understand is why my department didn't lose people and yet is having to shoulder the brunt of the discomfiture. The thing is, the way it's all shaken out, my department actually is "losing" a person since they're being shifted to doing different work and yet we're not allowed to do anything less. So the desk with the smallest staff in the room is expected to "do more with less" and nobody really seems to care. And somehow, it falls on me to *cue Tim Gunn voice* "Make it work!" Yeah, doesn't that make sense? Stick the guy who's been in management for less than three months with the responsibility of doing 5 people's worth of work with only 4 people. Awesome!

Now, it does make me feel good in a way, knowing that they trust me enough to pull this off after the short time I've been doing what I do. And I'm managing to find ways to sort of make it work, but it just means the next month is going to suck. And what really sucks about that is, I've really been enjoying the actual "work" part of my job lately. I've been doing some fun things with coding and data that I think will make things present better all around and has let me really tap into the computer geek I am a lot more. But, when I can only find time to work on that stuff maybe 30% of the time while I'm dealing with everything else, it's just hard to enjoy it as much as I should.

Non-whiny stuff:

I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year. The girls are getting so excited about Santa coming. At dinner last night, Anisa looks over at me and says, "Only two mare days until Christmas Eve, daddy!" and had the hugest smile on her face and a twinkle, a gleam, and maybe even some sugar plums dancing in her eyes. Jasmine is still not quite old enough to really "get" it all yet, but she's feeding off everyone else's excitement and is bubbling about it too.

I can't wait until we put the presents out tomorrow; they've stayed in our closet so far since the first present we put out didn't last more than a couple of hours before the girls decided it needed to be unwrapped. I guess we'll just have to wait until next year to try having presents stacked out there for a couple of weeks. :)

Alright, time to head to work. Whee!

No comments: